View from the deck on a glorious morning in early June.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

A wildlife calling card.

Many years ago, on our very first trip to Banff, I hardly dared to leave main street for fear of running into a bear.

If someone had told me back then that I would comfortably live with bears in the backyard I would never have believed it. We don't see them live all that often, which is best for both parties. The only good bear is a SHY bear.
I am still chicken about going into the mountains to pick berries or mushrooms, unless there is a small group. Every dark tree stump looks bear-shaped. This is totally irrational, since my chance of running into one is just as great right here at home, especially at this time of year.


The volunteer apples are almost ripe. Judging by the appearance of this "calling card", as the old timers so delicately put it, the bears are not waiting around. This one is right by the side of the driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome guest! Commenting is free, not moderated, and I got rid of the captcha. If you were here, give me a wave.